The Court's Website
The Court currently provides a wide array of resources to self-represented parties who visit the Court’s website. The site has long displayed judge-specific information, contact information for trustees’ offices, frequently asked questions about a broad range of bankruptcy topics (in both Spanish and English), links to approved credit counseling agencies and financial management courses, bankruptcy fees, and download-ready rules and forms.
New Web Page for Self-Represented Parties
The Court’s “Don’t Have an Attorney” web page was updated at the end of December 2011 to serve as a centralized place for self-represented parties to locate information specific to their needs, such as the hours for self-help clinics and seminars offered at each division, and contact information for free or low-cost bankruptcy attorneys. The updated page uses plain language and a user-friendly layout to present this information clearly to new visitors. The web page also includes videos on general bankruptcy information and a list of steps that should be taken before and after a debtor files. There are several links to helpful resources, including attorney referrals, credit counseling agencies, and a bankruptcy glossary of terms. This resource will be expanded and further refined over the coming year.
Table of Contents (Download Report)
- What Do We Know About Self-Represented Parties in our Court?
- How Many Self-Represented Parties Are There?
- Measuring Success
- Language Barriers
- Bankruptcy Petition Preparers
- Income Levels
- Literacy Issues
- Self-Represented Creditors
- Court Resources and the Impact of Large Numbers of Self-Represented Litigants
- Debtor ID Program
- Current Programs and Services for the Self-Represented
- The Court’s Website
- Personal Assistance from Court Staff
- Easy to Understand Forms and Instructions
- Assistance from Volunteers and Nonprofit Organizations
- Honor Roll
- Recruitment and Training of Volunteers
- Funding Sources for Non-Court Services
- Current Projects “Under Construction”
- Pathfinder Electronic Filing Project
- Proof of Service
- Video Instruction
- Future Surveys
- Call Center/Internet Live Chat